Skip to main content

We wanted the summer to last forever

 The way the setting summer sun frames her pink hair makes the way she tosses her head back to laugh at my terrible pun seem that much more beautiful. A soft breeze blows over the pond and tousles her hair gently, bringing the scent of honeysuckles with it.

"You know," She says, her voice still light with laughter, "I don't understand why you stay by yourself so much. You're so kind and funny."

I want to tell her that I'm only like this to her. I want to tell her that I cherish her and I love her, and her patience in getting to know me and allowing me to open up on my own terms made me love her all the more. I want to tell her that I feel trapped and claustrophobic when I'm around too many people. I want to tell her that I stutter over the simplest of words when I have to go to a fast food chain and order a burger, and the anxiety gets so much worse when I'm around people I want to impress. I want to tell her I'm not confident enough speaking English yet to subject myself to the ridicule I fear I'll face if I mess up in front of someone I don't trust; someone who isn't her.

"I just get scared in crowds," I say instead. I feel the emptiness of the truths left out, and I'm sure she does too, but she doesn't press.

"You don't have to throw yourself into a crowd. You could just sit with me and my friends at lunch when school starts back up." 

Her offer means so much more than I'm able to tell her. "If we have the same lunch block, I will... Thank you..."

The smile she gives me lights up the whole world, even through the sunset. 

"You're going to get along great with Jasper; he's been working on a D&D campaign all summer. He's been texting Katherine worldbuilding ideas the whole time. Oh-! If you want to make quick friends with Katherine, ask her about her novel WIP! And..." She talks on and on about the interests and hobbies of her various friends, and I fall just a bit deeper in love with her the longer she talks with such passion. 

I find myself dreading school starting back up less and less the longer she talks. I'll miss nights like this - nights where we spent the better half of the day exploring a new part of the woods until we found a good place to settle down, enjoy the new scenery, and talk each other's ears off until our parents yelled at us to come home and get cleaned up for supper - but maybe next summer, we can have more friends to share these experiences with. Maybe, once we get through this school year, I'll feel comfortable enough to call someone other than Samantha Grace my friend.

I guess I must have been staring off into space, because she puts her hand on my shoulder with the spoken reassurance of, "Don't worry, Pietro, I promise you'll fit in. We all feel like fish out of water, and none of us will judge anyone else for needing a little extra reassurance or time, okay?"

My body moves faster than my mind, and I hug her. "Grazie, la tua pazienza è apprezzata..."

She hugs me back without question. "Yeah, and ravioli to you too." She playfully teases me.

I scoff in amusement as I let her go. Fireflies dance over the pond, looking a bit like twinkling stars. It's a beautiful night to end summer vacation on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was it a knock that had woken her?

The  thump, thump, thump of someone knocking on the door roused her from her sleep. She sat up, rubbing the bleariness out of her eyes. Pushing the heavy duvet back, she slung her legs over the side of the bed and slid to the floor. Thump, thump, thump. That hadn't come from the door, that had come from above her. She looked to the ceiling, wondering what could be making that racket on the roof. Her parents were probably still asleep. After all, it was 2am. Thump, thump, thunk! That sounded like it was in the living room.  She picked up her softball bat, holding it like coach had taught her to, and slowly, carefully, made her way to the living room, peeking around corners to make sure it was safe. She'd heard that people would sneak into houses on Christmas Eve to steal things, and if kids heard and woke up, they'd think it was Santa and ignore it. She wasn't going to allow her family to be tricked like that, though. She peered into the living room. Just as she expected

Flames of Hell

The fire bathed his face in an uncomfortable heat. The closer the fire spread, the warmer he became.     Yet he could not move. He was stunned into paralysis by what he had just summoned. Before him sat the single most handsome man he had ever seen.     "Greetings. My name is Hades." The handsome man grinned, showing off his pearly white teeth, which were noticeably sharper than any human's Dan had ever seen before.     "Hi, I'm horny- I mean I'm Dan." Dan's face flushed a deep red at the embarrassment that washed over him.     Hades laughed a deep, rumbling laugh. A full, happy laugh. One that comes from the gut. Like Santa Clause. Except it wasn't a 'ho ho ho', it was a deeper, more gravely laugh.     "Did you summon me just to satisfy you, human?" At least Hades sounded amused by this whole situation. Dan had gotten lucky.     "Yes- I-I-I mean no! I didn't even mean to summon anything- er- anyone. I just found this o

He had an hour to get home.

He sped down the highway, weaving dangerously between the other cars on the road. If he didn't make it home in time, he would miss his kids waking up on Christmas morning.  While Terry was grateful his job had allowed him to go to home for Christmas, his flight had been so delayed he'd almost feared he wouldn't make it at all. His exit was coming up, and he pulled off, knowing he had to be more careful now. The snow was more packed on these roads than they had been on the highway. He pulled into his driveway, turned the car off, gathered the presents he'd bought for his family, and snuck inside. The family dog and his wife greeted him as he walked in.  Stephanie took the gifts from him to place them around the tree while he made coffee for the two adults, and cocoa for the twins he was about to give the best wake-up call ever. He handed Stephanie her cup, kissed her with all the passion he'd been unable to give her while away for work, then the two of them walked in