Skip to main content

He was at a crossroads and whichever path he chose would ruin someone’s life

He was at a proverbial crossroads right now, but there seemed to be no resolute answer; no one right way. But that was always life, wasn’t it? Real life had no black-or-white answers, there was no truly good or truly bad. 

The main issue here, though, wasn’t that there wasn’t a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answer, it was that both answers would absolutely destroy someone’s life.

He took a long drag on his cigarette. He supposed he could choose neither, but then that would open up a whole new can of worms. He slowly let out the smoke into the chilly winter night’s air. 

He placed a hand on his stomach, feeling bad for smoking, but still knowing he hadn’t even made the decision to keep it, yet. 

He was pregnant, but not with his wife, Susan's child, but rather, with his best friend, Thomas’ after a one-night drunken fling.

He’d immediately told Susan what had happened after he’d woken up the next day, and she hadn’t been mad and hadn’t brought it up since, but he could tell she was still distraught about it. They had talked about opening their relationship but had never made an official decision on that front. He wondered if that was off the table since his mistake. There was no way he would bring it up to her again so soon after the incident, but he was still curious.

“John?” 

John jumped at the voice of Thomas sounding right behind him.

“Fuck, dude, you scared the shit out of me.” John laughed, his hand over his heart.

“Sorry. I was wondering if you were okay. I’ve been watching you out the window since you went outside and that’s your third cigarette. This is really eating you up inside, isn’t it?”

John sighed wearily. “Yeah… If I abort it, I’ll never meet the little stinker, and neither will you, plus, Susan will be even more torn up than she already is. Not to mention that the baby will never get a chance at life, which is a travesty, but if it makes Susan more comfortable…

“But, if I give birth, she’ll either have to live with the fact that I cheated on her growing up in her home, or you’ll have to be a single parent- and- I know you’ve said a thousand times you don’t mind taking care of it, but I grew up in a single-parent household and it’s so rough on the parent, I wouldn’t wish that on you, and I wouldn’t want my child growing up only knowing me as ‘Uncle John’ instead of ‘daddy.’ 

“But there is also the possibility that the baby or I die in childbirth, which would be a whole other can of worms that I don’t want to get into at this moment- I just-” a sob caught John off guard, only now did he realize he was crying.

“John…” Thomas took a deep breath. “Susan called me earlier. She wanted to know if I wanted to join you guys in a thrupple polycule. I told her I’d think about it because it took me by surprise, but I think that, yes, I do want to be a part of this relationship. Will you have me, John?”

John looked, astounded, into Thomas’s gray eyes, fat tears still falling out of his own beautiful blue eyes, before he nodded.

“Perfect. Now, put that cigarette out and come back inside, you’re not even wearing a coat.” 

John nodded and outed his cigarette on the snow gathering on the banister- when had it started snowing?- before following Thomas back inside his flat. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Was it a knock that had woken her?

The  thump, thump, thump of someone knocking on the door roused her from her sleep. She sat up, rubbing the bleariness out of her eyes. Pushing the heavy duvet back, she slung her legs over the side of the bed and slid to the floor. Thump, thump, thump. That hadn't come from the door, that had come from above her. She looked to the ceiling, wondering what could be making that racket on the roof. Her parents were probably still asleep. After all, it was 2am. Thump, thump, thunk! That sounded like it was in the living room.  She picked up her softball bat, holding it like coach had taught her to, and slowly, carefully, made her way to the living room, peeking around corners to make sure it was safe. She'd heard that people would sneak into houses on Christmas Eve to steal things, and if kids heard and woke up, they'd think it was Santa and ignore it. She wasn't going to allow her family to be tricked like that, though. She peered into the living room. Just as she expected

Flames of Hell

The fire bathed his face in an uncomfortable heat. The closer the fire spread, the warmer he became.     Yet he could not move. He was stunned into paralysis by what he had just summoned. Before him sat the single most handsome man he had ever seen.     "Greetings. My name is Hades." The handsome man grinned, showing off his pearly white teeth, which were noticeably sharper than any human's Dan had ever seen before.     "Hi, I'm horny- I mean I'm Dan." Dan's face flushed a deep red at the embarrassment that washed over him.     Hades laughed a deep, rumbling laugh. A full, happy laugh. One that comes from the gut. Like Santa Clause. Except it wasn't a 'ho ho ho', it was a deeper, more gravely laugh.     "Did you summon me just to satisfy you, human?" At least Hades sounded amused by this whole situation. Dan had gotten lucky.     "Yes- I-I-I mean no! I didn't even mean to summon anything- er- anyone. I just found this o

He had an hour to get home.

He sped down the highway, weaving dangerously between the other cars on the road. If he didn't make it home in time, he would miss his kids waking up on Christmas morning.  While Terry was grateful his job had allowed him to go to home for Christmas, his flight had been so delayed he'd almost feared he wouldn't make it at all. His exit was coming up, and he pulled off, knowing he had to be more careful now. The snow was more packed on these roads than they had been on the highway. He pulled into his driveway, turned the car off, gathered the presents he'd bought for his family, and snuck inside. The family dog and his wife greeted him as he walked in.  Stephanie took the gifts from him to place them around the tree while he made coffee for the two adults, and cocoa for the twins he was about to give the best wake-up call ever. He handed Stephanie her cup, kissed her with all the passion he'd been unable to give her while away for work, then the two of them walked in